IH Statistics and Decision Making
Location – (Web PDC)
Instructions regarding how to log onto the web PDC and the conference call phone number, as well as handouts, will emailed to the registered participants the week before the PDC.
Paul Hewett Ph.D. CIH
This web PDC introduces the participant to Industrial hygiene (IH) statistics, which are those statistical methods and concepts that have proved useful for characterizing occupational exposure data and for IH decision making. (See the list of Prerequisites.)
This PDC covers the statistical methods used to estimate the parameters of the exposure profile (i.e., distribution of exposures). Included is an introduction to the normal, z-value, and lognormal distributions; distribution parameters vs. sample statistics; goodness-of-fit testing; descriptive statistics; compliance statistics (percentiles and exceedance fractions); confidence intervals and hypothesis testing; and non-parametric statistics.
The PDC will last 3.0 hours, with an additional 30 minutes for Q&A. Each participant will receive a certificate confirming participation in the PDC.
- Ability to calculate and interpret both descriptive and compliance statistics.
- Ability to calculate and interpret confidence intervals for the most commonly used compliance statistics.
- Ability to use both subjective and objective goodness-of-fit procedures to validate the use of the lognormal distribution model.
- Appreciation of the relationships between exposure profiles (i.e., distributions), exposure data, sample statistics, and IH decision making.
- Awareness of the difference between statistics-based decision making and rule-based decision making.
- Awareness of the major issues, pitfalls, and problems associated with the analysis and interpretation of occupational exposure data.
- Familiarity with the AIHA Exposure Assessment and Management Model (see the AIHA monograph “A Strategy for Assessing and Managing Occupational Exposures”, 4rd Edition (2015)
- Working knowledge of the IHDataAnalyst (Professional or Student version), or the AIHA IHStats spreadsheet.
- Recommended reading prior to the WebPDC:
- Hewett, P. (2007): Technical Report 07-02 – Industrial Hygiene Exposure Assessment – Data Collection and Management. Exposure Assessment Solutions, Inc.
- Hewett, P. (2007): Technical Report 07-03 – Industrial Hygiene Exposure Assessment – Data Analysis and Interpretation. Exposure Assessment Solutions, Inc
- AIHA Exposure Control Model
- Baseline Survey Simulator Workshop
- Introduction to the IH Data Analyst – Student version
- Descriptive and Compliance Statistics
- Order Statistics
- Decision making using statistics
- Exposure Assessment Issues and Pitfalls
See Registration page.
See Registration page.
Read these notes before you sign up:
NOTE: The registration and participation policy for each Web PDC is the same as for a fixed location or on-site PDC. Registration is per participant, not per viewing site. Each participant must register. Only those registered should view and participant in this web PDC.
NOTE: The email address submitted at the time of payment will be used for all email communications and for logging onto the web PDC.
NOTE: This web PDC will presented using GoToMeeting. GoToMeeting must be installed on your computer. To install (usually takes less than two minutes), click on the GoToMeeting link above, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the link “Download GoToMeeting (for customers)”. If you do not have administrative privileges for your computer have your IT person install the GoToMeeting software at least the day before the web PDC.
NOTE: The conference call number will not be toll free. You will be responsible for any long distance phone charges if you do not have an unlimited long distance account. However, you may also connect using your computer speakers and microphone or headset (VoIP).
NOTE: See the “Prerequisites” below for software and freeware that will be helpful when taking this web PDC. To download and install the program(s) you must first be a registered member of www.easinc.co.