Industrial Hygiene Statistics I - Basics
Location – (Web PDC)
Instructions regarding how to log onto the web PDC and the conference call phone number, as well as handouts, will emailed to the registered participants at least twenty four hours prior to the web PDC.
Dr. Paul Hewett Ph.D.
This 2.5 hour webinar PDC consists of Part II of a two part introduction to Industrial Hygiene Statistics (IH Statistics). IH Statistics refers to those statistical methods and concepts that have proved useful for characterizing occupational exposure data and for IH decision making. (See the list of Prerequisites.)
Part II primarily covers comparison tests (parametric and non-parametric), trends analysis, control charts, and analysis-of-variance. Included also is a brief introduction to Censored Data Analysis, and Bayesian Decision Analysis.
The webinar will last 2.5 hours, with an additional 30 minutes for followup questions and clarifications. Each participant will receive an email confirming participation in the PDC.
- Ability to compare two exposure datasets – e.g., exposures before and after intervention to determine if the new exposure profile is significantly reduced – using both parametric and non-parametric methods.
- Ability to evaluate trends in occupational exposure data.
- Ability to use analysis-of-variance methods to calculate and interpret within- and between-worker variability, as well as estimate the fraction of workers having individual 95th percentiles exceeding the TWA OEL or the fraction of workers having individual mean exposures exceeding a long-term average OEL.
- Recognition of the components of a report detailing the statistical analysis and interpretation of an exposure dataset, relative to a TWA OEL or STEL.
- Participation in the webinar PDC “IH Stats I – Basics” or a strong background in IH statistics
- Familiarity with the AIHA Exposure Assessment and Management Model (see the AIHA monograph “A Strategy for Assessing and Managing Occupational Exposures”, 3rd Edition (2006)
- Working knowledge of the IHDataAnalyst (full or Student Edition).
- Recommended reading prior to the WebPDC:
- Hewett, P. (2007): Technical Report 07-02 – Industrial Hygiene Exposure Assessment – Data Collection and Management. Exposure Assessment Solutions, Inc.
- Hewett, P. (2007): Technical Report 07-03 – Industrial Hygiene Exposure Assessment – Data Analysis and Interpretation. Exposure Assessment Solutions, Inc
- Binomial and Hypergeometric Distributions
- Comparison Tests – Parametric
- Comparison Tests – Non-Parametric
- Control Charts and Trend Analysis
- Data Quality Issues
- Statistical Analysis Report
- Introduction to Censored Data Analysis and Bayesian Decision Analysis
$200 per participant
A credit for an upcoming web PDC or a refund will be given for any cancellation made at least one business day prior to the day of the class. For example, if the web PDC is presented on a Saturday, the cancellation must be made by 6PM (1800) US Eastern time on the previous Thursday in order to qualify for a credit or refund. All refunds will be minus a $50 fee to recover credit card fees and administrative costs. No refunds or credits will be given if the notice of cancellation is not received within one business day of the web PDC.
Exposure Assessment Solutions, Inc. reserves the right to cancel the PDC at any time, in which case a full refund or credit will be given to each participant.
Read these notes before you sign up:
NOTE: The registration and participation policy for each Web PDC is the same as for a fixed location or on-site PDC. Each particpant must register. Registration is per participant, not per viewing site. Only those registered should view and particpant in this web PDC.
NOTE: The email address submitted at the time of payment will be used for all email communications and for logging onto the web PDC.
NOTE: This web PDC will presented using GoToMeeting. GoToMeeting must be installed on your computer. To install (usually takes less than two minutes), click on the GoToMeeting link above, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the link “Download GoToMeeting (for customers)”. If you do not have adminstrative privileges for your computer have your IT person install the GoToMeeting software well in advance of the web PDC.
NOTE: The conference call number will not be toll free. You will be responsible for any long distance phone charges if you do not have an unlimited long distance account. However, you may also connect using your computer speakers and microphone or headset (VoIP).
NOTE: See the “Prerequisites” below for software and freeware that will be helpful when taking this web PDC. To download and install the program(s) you must first be a registered member of www.oesh.com.